Cognitive behavioral therapy through computer agents
People with autism have superior skills and stronger
interests in technology. It is very effective to utilize
technology to train complex human communication skills.
Using conversational agents, we develop a system that
automates the cognitive behavioral therapy such as social
skills training (SST).
In addition, I am also interested in applying human learning systems to machine learning.
- Hiroki Tanaka, Sakriani Sakti, Graham Neubig, Tomoki Toda, Hideki Negoro, Hidemi Iwasaka, Satoshi Nakamura, Automated Social Skills Trainer, International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI), Mar. 2015.
- Hiroki Tanaka, Hideki Negoro, Hidemi Iwasaka, Satoshi Nakamura, Embodied Conversational Agents for Multimodal Automated Social Skills Training in People with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Plos One, Aug. 2017.
- Hiroki Tanaka, Hideki Negoro, Hidemi Iwasaka, Satoshi Nakamura, Listening Skills Assessment through Computer Agents, ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI), Oct. 2018.
Predicting mental states by machine learning
We try to predict and understand human mental states such
as neurodegenerative disorders, emotion, and mismatched
feeling by multimodal information processing and machine
learning (e.g. neural networks, tensor decompositions).
- Hiroki Tanaka, Nick Campbell, Classification of Social Laughter in Natural Conversational Speech, Computer Speech & Language, vol.28(1), pp.314-325, 2014.
- Hiroki Tanaka, Hiroyoshi Adachi, Norimichi Ukita, Manabu Ikeda, Kazui Hiroaki, Takashi Kudo, Satoshi Nakamura, Automatic Detection of Very Early Stage of Dementia through Multimodal Interaction with Computer Avatars, ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI), Nov. 2016.
- Hiroki Tanaka, Hiroki Watanabe, Hayato Maki, Sakti
Sakriani, Satoshi Nakamura, Electroencephalogram-Based
Single Trial Detection of Language Expectation Violations
in Listening to Speech, Frontiers in Computational
Neuroscience, vol. 13, pp. 1-15, 2019.
Training for recognizing verbal and non-verbal information
We propose an application aiming at training to read situational changes in verbal and non-verbal information.
- Hiroki Tanaka, Sakriani Sakti, Graham Neubig, Tomoki Toda, Satoshi Nakamura, NOCOA: A Computer-Based Training Tool for Social and Communication Skills That Exploits Non-verbal Behaviors, The Journal of Information and Systems in Education, vol.12(1), pp.19-26, 2014.
- Hiroki Tanaka, Sakriani Sakti, Graham Neubig, Tomoki Toda, Satoshi Nakamura, NOCOA+: Multimodal Computer-Based Training for Social and Communication Skills, IEICE transactions on Information and Systems, vol.E98-D(8), pp.1536-1544, 2015.